College Collage

Cut and Paste Education ™

pessimism

A certain website was brought to my attention. The Daily Pessimist is operated in part by the son of one my mom's friends. I can not disclose the name as that would be contrary to the spirit of the site. It is very cleverly written. (Note: it is written by 7th & 8th graders)

In another key, non omnia possumus omnes is an excellent phrase. I like it very much.

Pismire is another odd word. It comes from the Middle English word pisse meaning urine and mire meaning ant. Pismire is defined as ant, but etymologically it means pissant. Pissant, however does not derive from pismire at all. It is just the unification of piss and ant. This does not explain why Middle English speakers used the term pismire or why that word has come to mean ant. It seems to me that Merriam-Webster are not telling the whole story. Shall i make a mad dash for the undergrad to access a better dictionary? hmm. I'll keep you updated.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment